Monday, January 28, 2008

Men at Work

Geordie commented yesterday on my ability tosay so much about so little. When there's not much to do, one still has to share. Today we went for a nice long and very hot walk along the red brick path heading north and discovered that it was a very busy day for the fishermen. We have been up the path before but this is the first time I have seen so many men working at their nets and their boats here. There were lots in Kovalam, and there are certainly many many boats out fishing at night here - it's like watching a little city on the waves from our restaurant viewpoint.

The men here work in cooperatives. I don't think I've mentioned that this is the first democratically elected Commnuist government in India (maybe in the world).On the way through the state one sees the red flags along the side of the road displaying the hammer and sickle.

It's amazing to see the men all working together to organize their nets. They seem to have miles of them laid out on the sand and they have been spending hours organizing them in the hot sun. I took a few pictures of them toiling - how they cope with such hard work in such hot weather is beyond me. I guess they are acclimatized and I'm not.



The computer is not cooperating with me right now. I'm having a hard time getting the images to load. I do want to add a couple of pictures though. One is a view of our small beach from Restaurant row, and the other is a picture I took of Geordie last night while he was watching the sunset.




Wow, that took forever, so I'm quitting while I'm ahead. I'll be back with more soon, I'm sure. Until then...

3 comments:

  1. those are beautiful pictures, especially the one of geordie. hope you can get back and post more. will see you guys soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a pleasure to read whatever you write;
    a walk on the beach; the details of a meal;
    beds...
    from the ridiculous to the sublime.

    It's the doldrums here at the tail end of January; how nice to hear about life after CBE.
    Cheers
    Kimm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Boys....

    Pictures are nice, I agree. Weather looks warm.....

    Here in Vancouver we awoke to Yaletown covered in a layer of snow.... it's just.... beautiful!

    Miss you guys....

    ReplyDelete