Thursday, November 15, 2007

I Love a Parade

During our time on the roof today, about 7:00 am, we heard drums and singing so had to go over to look over. Seems we were observing a Hare Krishna parade winding its way through the neighbourhood.

Later in the afternoon, while I was enjoying a coffee by myself on the roof I heard the sound of a marching band so had to go look again. It took awhile for the parade to come into view but when it did it was worth the wait. It was being led by two huge elephants dressed in long cloth that swept the ground - and a place on top where he carried his passengers. They were followed by eight men on white horses, then several carts highly decorated, pulled by more white horses. One of the carts was particularly ornate with a high sweeping overhang.

And following that was not one, but two, marching bands. The first in white with red hats, the second in white with orange hats and orange puttees. The music was a sprightly jazz tune that was jaunty and toetapping - hmmmm, New Delhi or New Orleans.

And just a second ago Geordie popped by to announce that a big white cow had walked by all alone. I guess with that many cows, it's no surprise that yogurt is freely available.

5 comments:

  1. Hmmm...sounds like a wedding parade to me. Glad you boys are safe and sound, seems like just moments ago we popped you out to YVR! 24 hours later, shopping at Park Royal Winners, Kevin suddenly said, "think those boys are in India yet?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marje and I are sitting together reading your latest post this morning. The parade would have been a great photo op!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the idea that there was a little house on the top of the elephants for the riders to sit in. I assume this would protect the riders from the elephant's sneezes!
    Marje

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Uncle Nigel & Uncle Geordie,

    How all is well in Dehli. I would love to be experiencing India the way you are. Have safe travels and I will write when I have a few minutes. So far the blog is awesome I almost feel like I am there. I think you guys should write a book. Talk to you soon.

    Love Kara

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's most excellent to be able to share your adventure (while still breathing the non-cow-dung-smoke-filled air of Vancouver). I'm looking forward to the rest of the trip!

    (Although our air does not smell of cow dung, it IS below freezing at the moment. I feel a tiny twinge of envy ...)

    ReplyDelete